PDACNM Community Gathering
Welcome to the Monthly Community Gathering of Progressive Democrats of America, Central New Mexico Chapter
Wednesday January 13, 2020
Program is 6:00-7:30pm
Making Legislative History
In November New Mexicans elected what may be the most progressive and visionary Legislature in NM history. Our expectations are that they will formulate and pass legislation that will finally raise the well-being of all New Mexicans and make New Mexico a rising star in health, education, prison and justice reform, tax reform, transitions to alternative energy development, and economic equity. With strong grassroots activism, we can help achieve these goals. So join PDACNM as we advocate for what we would like New Mexico to become. This virtual session will have its challenges and we salute our legislators as they take on this enormous task.
Special thanks to our IT & Comms Crew: Scott Lake, Larry Baca & Lloyd DeWald
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 819 5824 2686 Passcode: 020025
Dial by your location:
346 248 7799 US (Houston)
669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
1. Welcome to PDA Central New Mexico chapter: Lisa Franzen 3”
2. Tech tips and Breakout Groups: Karen Bentrup – 3”
3. Land Acknowledgement: Daniel McLaughlin 3”
4. Grounding: noting and naming what is happening: Dr. Kathleen O’Malley 3″
5. Tracking a Bill Through the Legislative Process and Q&A – Pat Bartels 30”
Please post questions in the chat. Deb Marez-Baca will moderatethe questions for Pat. The presentation will be recorded.
6. Breakout Groups: Meet in Interest Areas: 30”
Yes, very similar to last month, but this time we will discuss specific bills that may be introduced in the 2021 Legislative
Session and which ones PDACNM will want to prioritize. In order to find pre-filed bills, please go to nmlegis.gov, click on
“Legislation”; then on “View complete legislation list”; then “GO” under 2021 Regular – 2021 Regular. Bills are being
added each day so you can check as often as you like.
- Please select an interest area below for your breakout session.
- Each breakout will have a PDA moderator.
- Discussion will be about the bills in that interest area, how PDA Action Alerts help us act, your skills and knowledge, and preparing to move our legislation forward and win!
- And if you are interested, perhaps you will volunteer to help us track these bills for the Action Alerts.
BREAKOUT GROUP INTEREST AREAS:
a – Healthcare – Amy, Herb, Pat
b – Voting Rights and Election Integrity – Paul
c – End Corporate Rule (includes banking) – Lisa, Willard
d – Social & Economic Justice – Laura, Deb, Kathleen
e – Stop Global Warming/Climate Crisis – Ted, Karen
- Main Group: Key take-aways and closing remarks: Karen Bentrup 3”
- PDA Action Alerts will help guide your online and digital lobbying – sign up here: https://pdacnm.org/
- 2021 Legislative Action Expo (online) – January 9
Please join me this Thursday for a virtual Town Hall with Senate Majority Whip Mimi Stewart to preview the legislative session and discuss key priorities – January 7 from 6 – 7:15pm. Click here to register.
I’ll be hosting a second Town Hall on January 12 from 6 – 7:15pm with Representatives Daymon Ely and Derrick Lente. Click here to register.
Please view these documents for information provided by our speakers.
Other Information of Note
For the next two months:
Stay connected to information from reliable sources about respecting the results!
Text “CHILE” to 505-551-0824 to receive information from Count Every Vote NM.
For PDA members, you can email Mike Fox and join national in supporting GA:
Support Georgia PDA on the ground!
The Progressive Democrats of America Greater Atlanta Chapter has put together an
aggressive GOTV initiative for Georgia’s Senate Runoff (Jan 5, 2021).
Please donate whatever you can.
Fundraising Goal: $5,000
Get your pens and stamps ready for a GA-voter campaign from Vote Forward
TEXT BANKING for Georgia voters.
Donate to Fair Fight PAC, a nationwide group founded by Stacey Abrams.
Donate to the Black Voters Matter org that focused on voter turnout for the Black community.
Donate to both candidates via Act Blue
Join WFP volunteers:
email Michaela Gallegos at:
Legislative Action Expo – Jan. 11 (DPBC & PDA+) Retake Our Democracy:
VFP has taken the lead in lifting up the original intention of November 11th – as a day for peace.
As veterans we know that a day that celebrates peace, not war, is the best way to honor the sacrifices of veterans.
We want generations after us to never know the destruction war has wrought on people and the earth.
Learn More: http://bit.ly/VFPArmisticeDay