SUPPORT AN END TO ISRAEL’S DETENTION AND MISTREATMENT OF PALESTINIAN CHILDREN
Understanding the Issues:
- Israel prosecutes in military courts as many as 700 Palestinian children each year – 10,000 children since 2002. They are not allowed attorneys. Israel is the only country in the world that systematically tries children in military courts. Right now, hundreds of children are in military prisons.
- The Israeli military routinely uses violence on as many as 3/4 of all detained children – chokeholds, beatings, solitary confinement, sleep deprivation, verbal attacks, and emotional abuse, and threats that extort confessions.
- Since 2000, over 1,800 children have been killed in occupation-related violence.
- All of this in direct violation of international conventions. Israel ratified in 1991 the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, committing Israel to providing all children with a safe childhood and protection to ensure that childhood is a time free from insecurity, violence and abuse.
- Read more here.
What everyone can do to help!
1. SUPPORT LEGISLATION: H.R. 4391 – Promoting Human Rights by Ending Israeli Military Detention of Palestinian Children Act. Introduced by Rep. Betty McCollum (202-225-6631).
- Ask your representatives to co-sponsor H.R. 4391. (Talking points above & on back.)
- Michelle Lujan Grisham (NM D1): 202-225-6316, 505-346-6781
- Steve Pearce (NM D2): 202-225-2365, 575-522-0771
- Ben Ray Lujan (NM D3): 202-225-6190, 505-984-8950
- Direct email to your legislators: here
- Call the members of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs listed below.
2. Sign the online petition for No Way to Treat a Child campaign: here
3. Promote the #nowaytotreatachild campaign on all your social media:
4. Join the campaign and support the cause: here
5. Educate yourself and friends:
6. Get involved locally! Have these groups speak at your organization meetings or join these groups:
You can always check with the Albuquerque Center for Peace and Justice – 505-268-9557
- Jewish Voice for Peace – firstname.lastname@example.org
- American Friends Service Committee – email@example.com
- Friends of Sabeel ABQ – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Santa Feans for Justice in Palestine – Facebook; or http://www.santafeansforjusticeinpalestine.org/
- Amnesty International Group 462 – here
- Stop the War Machine – Stopthewarmachine@hotmail.com
- The Red Nation – https://www.facebook.com/therednation
- Showing Up for Racial Justice – email@example.com
TALKING POINTS for H.R. 4391
Promoting Human Rights by Ending Israeli Military Detention of Palestinian Children Act
This bill prohibits U.S. assistance to Israel from being used to support the military detention, interrogation, or ill-treatment of Palestinian children in violation of international humanitarian law or the use against Palestinian children of: (1) torture, inhumane, or degrading treatment; (2) physical violence or psychological abuse; (3) incommunicado or administrative detention; (4) solitary confinement; (5) denial of parental or legal access during interrogations; or (6) force or coercion to obtain a confession. The Department of State shall annually submit to Congress: (1) a certification that none of the funds obligated or expended in the previous fiscal year for assistance to Israel have been used to support any of such activities; or (2) if the State Department cannot make such certification, a report describing each activity and the amount of funds used by Israel in violation of this bill. The State Department shall include in each annual report on the barring of development assistance to a country that engages in human rights violations a description of the nature and extent of detention, interrogation, or ill-treatment of Palestinian children by Israeli military forces or police in violation of international humanitarian law.
24 Co-sponsors – list here
Why should MoCs support and vote yes to bill H.R. 4391?
- The U.S. provides $3.8 Billion in military aid to Israel every year.
- Nothing prevents Israel from using this aid to mistreat Palestinian children.
- H.R. 4391 would bring transparency to how Israel uses American aid and would protect children.
Also will help create movement toward equal justice under the law, and create conditions that could lead to a just and lasting peace.
Call the House Committee on Foreign Affairs members. ALL NUMBERS START 202-
Chairman Ed Royce R-CA, Commt. office – 225-5021. Francis Rooney R-FL , Vice Chairman – 225-2536
Eliot Engel D-NY, Ranking Member – 225-2464. Ami Bera D-CA, Vice Ranking Member – 225-5716
Christopher Smith – NJ – 225-3765
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen – FL – 225-3931
Dana Rohrabacher – CA – 225-2415
Steve Chabot – OH – 225-2216
Jose Wilson – SC – 225-2452
Michael McCaul – TX – 225-2401
Ted Poe -TX – 225-6565
Darrell Issa – CA – 225-3906
Tom Marino – PA – 225-3731
Mo Brooks – AL – 225-4801
Paul Cook – CA – 225-5861
Scott Perry – PA – 225-5836
Ron DeSantis – FL – 225-2706
Mark Meadows – NC – 225-6401
Ted Yoho – FL – 225-5744
Adam Kinzinger – IL – 225-3635
Lee Zeldin – NY – 225-3826
Daniel Donovan – NY – 225-3371
Jim Sensenbrenner -WI – 225-5101
Ann Wagner – MO – 225-1621
Brian Mast – FL – 225-3026
Brian Fitzpatrick – PA – 225-4276
Tom Garrett – VA – 225-4711
John Curtis – UT – 225-7751
Brad Sherman – CA – 225-5911
Gregory Meeks – NY – 225-3461
Albio Sires – NJ – 225-7919
Gerald Connolly – VA – 225-1492
Ted Deutch – FL – 225-3001
Karen Bass – CA – 225-7084
William Keating – MA – 225-3111
David Cicilline – RI – 225-4911
Lois Frankel – FL – 225-9890
Tulsi Gabbard – HI – 225-4906
Joaquin Castro – TX – 225-3236
Robin Kelly – IL – 225-0773
Brendan Boyle – PA – 225-6111
Dina Titus – NV – 225-5965
Norma Torres – CA – 225-6161
Brad Schneider – IL – 225-4835
Thomas Suozzi – NY – 225-3335
Adriano Espaillat – NY – 225-4365
Ted Lieu – CA – 225-3976