As most of us know by now, following the election, the President will attempt to get the Trans Pacific Partnership passed through a lame duck Congress. PDA has worked relentlessly to convince US senators and representatives to resist the TPP. Our New Mexico Democratic representatives and senators have said they were opposed to it in the past. However, they will be facing a great deal of pressure from the White House so we need to continue to remind them that they represent us and not the corporations. Below you will find our PDA letter drops that we made to our folks in Congress in September. At our October meeting we will have postcards available for the audience to write a note to Senators Heinrich and Udall and Representatives Michelle Lujan Grisham and Ben Ray Lujan urging them to vote no. Please join us.
Public Citizen, a public watchdog group has been tracking the TPP for years and publicizing the hazards connected with it. You can find everything you need to know about the TPP on their Global Trade Watch link here.
According to Public Citizen, if passed, the TPP would:
– expand powers for corporations to attack our environmental and health safeguards,
– make it easier for big corporations to ship our jobs overseas, pushing down our wages and increasing income inequality,
– flood our country with unsafe imported food,
– sneak in threats to internet freedom,
– jack up the cost of medicines by giving big pharmaceutical corporations new monopoly rights to keep lower cost generic drugs off the market,
– ban Buy American policies needed to create green jobs,
– roll back Wall Street reforms,
– and undermine human rights.