On August 25th, 8 members of PDA CNM (Paul Stokes, Bob Greenberg, Ted Cloak, Katherine O’Malley, Susan Selbin, Caroline Monie, George Franzen, Lisa Franzen) met with CD 1 Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham and Gilbert Gallegos, her Deputy District Director.
The following issues of concern to PDA members were presented and discussed:
- The August Letter Drop requested support for H.R. 292, the New Columbia Admission Act and H.J.Res. 44, proposing an amendment to the U.S. Constitution carried by Rep. Mark Pocan. Rep. Lujan Grisham stated that she often works closely with Rep. Pocan and will follow up with his office on this issue upon returning to D.C. PDA thanked our Congresswoman for supporting H.J. Res. 113, removing the deadline for ratification of the ERA, and H.J. Res 119, proposing an amendment to the U.S. Constitution relating to campaign contributions and expenditures. We also delivered information about the Gaza Initiative from the PDA End War & Occupation IOT.
- Bob Greenberg spoke of PDA support of Single Payer Health Care and suggested that the Congresswoman’s staff attend a speaking engagement presented by Physicians for a National Health Plan on 9/18/14.
- Mandy Pino accompanied PDA members and delivered information regarding HR 3118, supporting raising the SS Cap.
- Paul Stokes spoke to PDA positions that support and strengthen many voting rights issues.
- Ted Cloak spoke in support of environmental issues, particularly H.R. 4754, the Managed Carbon Price Act of 2014, sponsored by J. McDermott (WA 07)
- Issues previously and currently supported by PDA including H.R. 1579, the Robin Hood Tax, H.R. 1000, the Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment and Training Act and the strong PDA position to defeat the Transpacific Partnership (TPP) Fast Track were delivered for continued response.
- Kathleen O’Malley spoke to concerns of the border immigration situation to include actions in Artesia.
- Paul Stokes and Kathleen O’Malley brought up the ongoing issues of the very unbalanced response of U.S. policy to the Israel/Gaza situation. Discussion time was very short and a further meeting is being evaluated.
- Bob Greenberg spoke to the vote by Congress to support additional national funding for charter schools, to concerns regarding how some charter schools are operating, nationally and in New Mexico, and to the issue of how additional funding of charter schools impacts public schools. The Congresswoman has suggested that PDA CNM meet with her field rep S. Kean to talk more about charter schools and this is being considered.